打开APP
userphoto
未登录

开通VIP,畅享免费电子书等14项超值服

开通VIP
【有道晨读】《老人与海》第二期


00:0000:00

'Santiago,' the boy said.

“圣地亚哥,”孩子说。

'Yes,' the old man said. He was holding his glass and thinking of many years ago.

“呃,”老人回答。他把酒杯拿在手里,正想着许多年以前的事情。

'Can I go out to get sardines for you for tomorrow?'

“我去替你拿些明天的沙丁鱼来,好不好?”

'No. Go and play baseball. I can still row and Rogelio will throw the net.'

“不。你去玩垒球吧。我还可以划船呢,何况还有罗吉利奥替我撒网。”

'I would like to go. If I cannot fish with you, I would like to serve in some way.'

“我还是想去。即使不能跟你一道打鱼,我也想替你做些别的事儿。”

'You bought me a beer,' the old man said. 'You are already a man.'

“你已经替我买了一瓶啤酒,”老人说。“现在你是个大人啦。”

'How old was I when you first took me in a boat?'

“你头一趟带我上船,那时我多大岁数?”

'Five and you nearly were killed when I brought the fish in too green and he nearly tore the boat to pieces. Can you remember?'

“五岁。当年我把一条生龙活虎的鱼拖上船的时候,那家伙险些儿把船撞得粉碎,你也差点送了命。还记得吗?”

'I can remember the tail slapping and banging and the thwart breaking and the noise of the clubbing.

“我记得鱼尾巴叭哒叭哒地直扑打,船上坐板也裂开了缝,还有你用棍棒打鱼的声音。

I can remember you throwing me into the bow where the wet coiled lines were and feeling the whole boat shiver,

我记得你把我扔到船头放着湿钩丝卷儿的地方,我觉得整只船都在颤动,

and the noise of you clubbing him like chopping a tree down and the sweet blood smell all over me.'

我又听到你用棍子打鱼的声音,像砍一棵树似的,接着一股新鲜的血腥味儿扑遍了我的全身。”

'Can you really remember that or did I just tell it to you?'

“你真的记得那回事儿吗?还是我告诉你的呢?”

'I remember everything from when we first went together.'

“从我们第一次一起到海里去起,什么事儿我都记得一清二楚。”

The old man looked at him with his sunburned, confident loving eyes.

老人用他那双日晒风吹、坚定而慈爱的眼睛望着他。

'If you were my boy I'd take you out and gamble,' he said.

“你要是我自个儿的孩子,我就会带你去冒一冒险了,”他说。

'But you are your father's and your mother's and you are in a lucky boat.'

“可是,你是你爸爸的,是你妈妈的,你搭的又是一只交了好运的船。”

'May I get the sardines? I know where I can get four baits too.'

“我去拿沙丁鱼好吗?我还知道什么地方可以拿四条鱼食来呢。”

'I have mine left from today. I put them in salt in the box.'

“今天我自个儿还有剩下的。我把它们放在盒子里用盐腌上了。”

'Let me get four fresh ones.'

“那么让我弄四条新鲜的来吧。”

'One,' the old man said.

“一条,”老人说。

His hope and his confidence had never gone. But now they were freshening as when the breeze rises.

他的希望和信心从来没有消失,现在又像微风初起时那样清新了。

'Two,' the boy said.

“两条,”孩子说。

'Two,' the old man agreed. 'You didn't steal them?'

“那么就两条吧,”老人答应了。“可不是偷来的吧?”

'I would,' the boy said. 'But I bought these.'

“偷我也愿意,”孩子说。“可我是买来的。”

'Thank you,' the old man said.

“谢谢你,”老人说。

He was too simple to wonder when he had attained humility.

他真够天真,在自己谦卑的时候一点也不以为奇。

But he knew he had attained it and he knew it was not disgraceful and it carried no loss of true pride.

但是他知道他已经变得谦卑,他知道这不是耻辱,而且也没有给真正的高傲带来损失。

'Tomorrow is going to be a good day with this current,' he said.

“照这样的海流,明天会是一个好日子,”他说。

'Where are you going?' the boy asked.

“你要到哪儿去?”孩子问。

'Far out to come in when the wind shifts. I want to be out before it is light.'

“去得远远的,风向一转就顺着风回来。天亮以前我就要出发了。”

'I'll try to get him to work far out,' the boy said.

“我想叫他也去得远远的,”孩子说。

'Then if you hook something truly big we can come to your aid.'

“那么,你要是捉到一条真正的大鱼,我们就可以来帮助你了。”

'He does not like to work too far out.'

“他不愿意把船开得很远。”

'No,' the boy said.

“是的,”孩子说。

'But I will see something that he cannot see such as a bird working and get him to come out after dolphin.'

“可是我会看见他看不见的东西,像觅食的鸟儿,我看到了就会叫他去追海豚。”

'Are his eyes that bad?'

“他的眼睛那样不中用吗?”

'He is almost blind.'

“他的眼睛差不多瞎啦。”

'It is strange,' the old man said. 'He never went turtle-ing. That is what kills the eyes.'

“这倒也奇怪,”老人说。“他是从来不去捉海龟的。捉海龟才伤眼睛呢。”

'But you went turtle-ing for years off the Mosquito Coast and your eyes are good.'

“你在摩斯基多海湾捉了好些年的海龟,你的眼睛还是好好的。”

'I am a strange old man.'

“我是一个古怪的老头儿啊。”

'But are you strong enough now for a truly big fish?'

“可是,你现在的力气足够捉住一条真正的大鱼吗?”

'I think so. And there are many tricks.'

“我想是可以的。何况还有许多诀窍呢。”

'Let us take the stuff home,' the boy said. 'So I can get the cast net and go after the sardines.'

“我们把东西拿回家吧,”孩子说。“这样我才能够拿网去捉些沙丁鱼来。”

They picked up the gear from the boat.

他们把东西从船上捡起。

The old man carried the mast on his shoulder and the boy carried the wooden box with the coiled,

老人扛着桅杆,孩子抱着木头盒子,

hard-braided brown lines, the gaff and the harpoon with its shaft.

盒子里盛着盘在一起、编得很硬的褐色钓丝,还有鱼钩和带把子的鱼叉。

The box with the baits was under the stern of the skiff along with the club that was used to subdue the big fish when they were brought alongside.

盛鱼食的盒子连同一根棍子放在船梢下面,那根棍子是等把大鱼拖进船旁边的时候用来把它们打晕的。

No one would steal from the old man but it was better to take the sail and the heavy lines home as the dew was bad for them and,

没有人会偷老人的东西,不过还是把船帆和沉重的钩丝带回家去妥当些,因为那些东西沾了露水就不好了,

though he was quite sure no local people would steal from him,

同时,老人虽然深信当地不会有人偷他的东西,

the old man thought that a gaff and a harpoon were needless temptations to leave in a boat.

但他觉得把鱼叉和鱼钩丢在船上实在是不必要的诱惑。


本站仅提供存储服务,所有内容均由用户发布,如发现有害或侵权内容,请点击举报
打开APP,阅读全文并永久保存 查看更多类似文章
猜你喜欢
类似文章
【热】打开小程序,算一算2024你的财运
推荐十篇英文哲理故事
英语作文:坐着说话不腰疼
有道晨读|《老人与海》终篇
睿智老人
译读经典 | 老人与海(十三):终于钓到了一条鱼,虽然只是一条小金枪鱼
老人与海经典句子
更多类似文章 >>
生活服务
热点新闻
分享 收藏 导长图 关注 下载文章
绑定账号成功
后续可登录账号畅享VIP特权!
如果VIP功能使用有故障,
可点击这里联系客服!

联系客服