我们在日常英语交流中有没有碰到或说过下面这些语句呢?你有没有通过字面意思的理解来回答别人而导致了尴尬的事情呢?
让我们一起来学习学习吧。
Pull one’s leg
字面意思是:拉后腿,但是它的真正意思是开玩笑。
When he said that he would invite the whole class to his birthday party,we
wondered whether he was pulling our leg.
当他说要请全班同学参加他的生日宴会,我们想他大概是在开玩笑吧.
Eat one’s words
字面意思是:吃某人的话,但它的真正意思是收回前言。
If you are right. I'll eat my words.
如果你是对的,我就收回我说过的话。
handwriting on the wall
字面意思是:大字报,但它的真正意思是不祥之兆
I could see the handwriting on the wall when they called me in.
他们叫我进去的时候,我就感到了不祥的预兆。
bring down the house
字面意思是:推到房子,但它的真正意思是博得全场喝彩。
Whenever we have a family gathering, my father always tells jokes that bring down the house.
我们每次家庭聚会时,我爸总是会讲笑话,使家里笑声满堂。
have a fit
字面意思是:试穿,但它的真正意思是勃然大怒。
He'd have a fit if he knew what we were up to!
要是他知道我们在干什么会气疯了的。
pull up one's socks
字面意思是:提起某人的袜子
You have to pull your socks up and get out there and sell more stuff.
你们必须立刻振作起来到外面去加紧推销你们的产品。
make one's hair stand on end
字面意思是:使头发竖立起来,真的意思是令人恐惧,令人毛骨悚然
Some of those ghost stories make my hair stand on end; even though I don't believe in ghosts.
有几篇鬼故事使我毛骨悚然,虽然我并不相信鬼。
wear two hats
字面意思是:戴两顶帽子,真正意思是身兼两职
He is wearing two hats, being as the attorney for the company as well as the president of a charity organization.
他身兼两职,既是公司的法律顾问,也是一家慈善机构的主席。
no skin off one’s nose
字面意思是去掉某人的鼻子,真实意思是与某人无关
it's no skin off my nose if Susie's going out now with that guy!
要是苏琪在跟那个家伙好,一起出去玩的话,这可跟我没有一点关系。
speaking of the devil
字面意思是:说魔鬼,真正意思是说曹操,曹操到
He's already twenty-five minutes late. Shall we go? Oh, speak of the devil, here he is now.
他已经晚了25分钟了,我们要不就走吧?噢,他来了,真是说到曹操,曹操就到。
各位条友们,不知道大家还有其他补充吗?
欢迎大家评论留言。
联系客服